Imagine an unspoilt island within a National Park, deserted beaches of pure white sand, sparkling turquoise seas crisscrossed by local dhows plying their trade, swaying palms, sunny days and star studded nights…and you have Azura...
Azura is located on Benguerra Island within the Bazaruto Marine National Park. Benguerra Island lies 14km north east of Vilanculos, the nearest town and site of the international airport.
Our handbuilt villas blend modern chic with all that is traditional in Mozambique. The creature comforts you would expect from a luxury boutique resort are there, set off by locally sourced wooden beams and traditional artwork beneath a thatched jekka roof.
Each is just footsteps from the beach, yet designed with seclusion in mind. Nestled amidst indigenous gardens, we have created your own sanctuary. A haven of rest and relaxation, where you can feel at one with the environment. A fusion of indoor and outdoor space where time becomes your own.
Wander down to the pristine white beach and welcoming azure sea beyond. Lounge around on plump cushions on your daybed, or tan in private and cool off in your sparkling plunge pool. Dine on your deck, or sip champagne in your beachside Sala as the sun goes down. Lie in your bath and gaze at the view, or shower beneath the stars. Do whatever you want to do. Our villas are a welcoming place to stay. You may not want to leave them at all.
You’ll have a dedicated Mozambican host to look after you during your stay. They’ll take care of all your needs, including serving your meals, arranging activities and joining you on excursions . They are part of Azura’s commitment to the community and upliftment of the country’s people. Many of them have very little in the way of formal education, but they have a genuine warmth and friendliness, and will delight in looking after you.
Azura has 3 Luxury Beach Villas, furnished in contemporary style and just steps from the beach.
Each has the following facilities
100m2 under roof, 450m2 private area . Beachfront location and views . Private plunge pool (2m x 3m x 1.2m deep) . Air-conditioning and fans . King size bed with oversize mosquito net . Egyptian cotton percale bedlinen . Bathroom with shower, double vanity and separate toilet . Outdoor his and hers showers . Mozambican host service . Mini bar and tea/coffee making facilities . Large private undercover deck with daybed . Sundeck . Beachside sala
Azura has 11 Infinity Beach Villas.
They are furnished in contemporary style and look out over a stunning infinity pool towards the beach and sea beyond. They have the best of our beachfront locations.
Each has the following facilities:
- 110m2 under roof, 650m2 private area
- Beachfront location and views
- Private 5 metre infinity pool (5m x 2.5m x 1.4m deep)
- Large private undercover deck with daybed and dining facilities
- Air-conditioning and fans
- King size bed with oversize mosquito net
- Egyptian cotton percale bedlinen
- Large bathroom with panoramic shower & bath, dressing area and double vanities
- Separate toilet
- Indoor/outdoor his and hers showers
- Mozambican host service
- Mini bar and tea/coffee making facilities
- Beachside sala
New for Azura’s re-opening is Villa Amizade, which means friendship villa in our native Portuguese. This 2 bedroom en-suite villa is located at the western end of the property, and offers more than 185 m2 under roof.
It is perfect for families or a couple requiring more of a private residence feel, and represents excellent value when occupied by 4 people
Villa Amizade has the following facilities
- Master bedroom with king size bed, indoor/outdoor feel with doors opening up on 2 sides of the room to lounging decks, ensuite bathroom with freeform bath, indoor and outdoor showers, air-conditioning.
- Second en suite bedroom with twin beds, sitting area, feature indoor/outdoor bathroom, look through sea view and air-conditioning
- Sitting area with flat screen TV, DVD, Bose Sound Dock and selection of games, opening onto
- Extensive decking, dining and relaxation areas, including a wine bar
- 10 m fully tiled swimming pool
- Large beachfront garden with daybeds and hammock, wonderful views of the sea and sunset
- Guest toilet
- Small kitchenette
- Mozambican host service
- All the normal Azura design touches and finishes
- Maximum occupancy 4 people including children
The epitomy of style and luxury, with its own unique décor, the Presidential Villa at Azura is one of the most luxurious private residences to be found anywhere in the Indian Ocean. It has two en suite bedrooms, a third staff bedroom, indoor and outdoor bathrooms, a sitting room with fireplace, dining area with wine bar, and huge infinity pool spanning the front of the villa. It is located just footsteps from the beach at the end of our property to ensure maximum privacy, and has uninterrupted panoramic views to Bazaruto Island and the Indian Ocean beyond.
Each Presidential Villa has the following facilities
- 425m2 under roof, 1075m2 private area
- Complete privacy with its own beachfront location and amazing views towards Bazaruto Dune
- Huge split level master suite with king size bed, oversize mosquito net, sitting area, massive bathroom with panoramic freeform bath and shower, separate toilet, dressing area, his & hers indoor and outdoor showers, air-conditioning and fans.
- Second beachfront bedroom with the same gorgeous layout as our existing Infinity Beach Villas
- Third small en-suite bedroom suitable for bodyguards/nannies/pilots/guides and children
- All linked by wooden walkways and screened by natural indigenous vegetation
- Stylish separate sitting room with fireplace, flat screen TV, DVD and Bose Sound Dock
- Dining area with feature star shaped roof and ‘wine bar’
- Treehouse lounging area
- 16m infinity edged swimming pool spanning the front of the villa
- Private kitchen and personal chef
- Mozambican host service
- Guest toilet
- Extensive sundecks, relaxation areas, daybeds and beach Salas
- Maximum occupancy 6 (no extra children sharing rooms permitted)
With the sea right there, many of our activities are focused around it. You can snorkel or dive, saltwater fly fish or big game fish. Watch the sunset as you sail on our dhow, or cruise to deserted beaches to look for pansy shells. Gaze at the dolphins, who are regular visitors to our beach, or track down humpback whales on their migration past our shores (seasonal).
Scuba Diving ;Padi Gold Palm dive centre with all new Scubapro equipment . Full range of instructional courses from discover scuba upwards . Dedicated watersports centre with 9m long training pool . DAN equipped 8m diving rib . Varied and interesting reefs with several species of turtle, dolphins, shark, pelagics, moray eels, eagle rays and a wonderful array of reef fish and corals.
Snorkelling The world famous aquarium at 2 mile reef Nearby Ponto Dundo.
Big Game Fishing Some of the world’s best fishing for Marlin, Sailfish and Tuna . Fully equipped speciality big game fishing boat . Tag and release policy
Salt water fly fishing Azura has its own specialist instructors from beginner to advanced Giant Trevally (GT’s) up to 50kg a speciality year round
Pansy island visits This island emerges from the sea at low tide Take a picnic and look for pansy shells
Dhow sailing Time stands still as your butler host will serve you snacks and drinks on our 40 foot traditional dhow as the sun goes down
There are land based activities too. Take a tour of the island, and experience the local culture. Climb the dunes, some of which are scattered with the remnants of ancient Arab pottery. Visit the island’s lakes and spot a crocodile or two. Discover the local fauna and flora. Take a long walk and we will meet you with a picnic.
Or join one of our star gazing events and lie back and listen to the ancient African stories that chart the cosmos. The view of the stars and milky way from Azura is quite spectacular.
- Unique African spa
- Land Rover Island drives
- Cultural encounters
- Beach picnics
- Star gazing
- Day trips to Vilanculos
- Small exercise room